.

.

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Reverse/Summer Seasonal Affective Disorder - What It Is and Isn't

I have mentioned before but in case you're new here, I am one of the 1-6% of the population who has Summer - or Reverse - Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Yes, it's a real thing and I want to tell you about what it is and, more importantly, what it is not.

When you think of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), you probably picture someone slinking into depression when the cold winter comes along and the clocks get set back, enveloping them in darkness before dinnertime.  The lack of sunlight and the cold temperatures sends them spiraling into despair, counting the days until the clocks are set back giving them more time for their idol, the sun, to shine down upon them again until late in the warm summer evenings.


Summer/Reverse SAD is, obviously, the complete opposite of that, although we do share many of the same symptoms such as apathy or loss of interest, fatigue, insomnia, appetite changes, irritability, lack of concentration, depression, low energy, etc.

Those of us who have Summer/Reverse SAD dread the onslaught of our enemy, The Sun, and its cohorts, Heat and Humidity. 
 

We long for cloudy, cool days and dream of snowstorms and air that you can actually breathe in.  For some of us, anxiety levels skyrocket.  For me personally, I can also become very agitated and panicky every single day for the entire summer season.  If the sun/heat/humidity is relentless and rain hasn't happened for an extended period of time - like, a week - I escalate to Defcon 2 or even 1.


The sun, to me, is utterly oppressive. It drains and exhausts me.  I am energized on cloudy days.  I understand that for the majority of the population it has the opposite effect - most people revel in and worship it, complaining bitterly when it isn't shining - but there's a small group of us sitting left of center (in the shade) finally exhaling, relaxing, and motivated when the clouds roll in.

In summertime, I hide indoors.  I don't want to go anywhere or do anything.  The sun makes me nauseous and angry.  A few years back in the midst of a disgusting summer, I was contemplating how mad JP (husband) would get if I painted the glass of all of our windows black, when I luckily discovered these wonderful black accordion-style window shades at 
Home Depot and Lowe's.  These shades block the sun 100% from coming through the windows, allowing me to pretend there is not a giant ball of fire outside trying to kill me. 
Yes, my house is like dungeon.  It's glorious.



via GIPHY



I do want to clarify something, though.  In almost every article that I read about Summer/Reverse SAD, there is mention that part of the cause of it is FOMO, Fear Of Missing Out.
Some articles go so far as to state that those of us who have it are simply unhappy because for one reason or another - financial, not having the time off, location - we cannot go and enjoy the "fun" summer activities that we see many of our friends and families partaking in. 
Activities like going to the beach, taking vacations, going on hikes, barbecues, etc.

When idiots people write such things in informational articles about Summer/Reverse SAD, they are displaying that they are actually quite unqualified to be writing about it.  I am not sitting here right this minute agitated, panicky, nauseous, anxious and depressed because I can't go to the seashore with my friends.
My windows don't have black shades on them because I want to be frolicking in the ocean with my besties.  (Regular) Seasonal Affective Disorder - the winter kind - affects 40 million people and I seriously doubt they're all just sad and heavyhearted because they don't have enough money or vacation time to go skiing with their friends.

Summer FOMO is a thing, but it is not Seasonal Affective Disorder and the two should not be mentioned in the same article(s). 

I guess I kind of feel bad for you if you're upset because all your friends are at the beach or barbecue and you have to work or don't have the money to go, but me and my ilk are experiencing genuine crisis.  Not being able to go to the beach or the barbecue isn't really a crisis unless you suffer from dramaqueenitis.




Snippets from this blog post were used in the following physician-reviewed article:
3 Things Someone With Summer Seasonal Affective Disorder Wants You To Know

2 comments:

  1. "We long for cloudy, cool days and dream of snowstorms and air that you can actually breathe in."
    Yes...I hate summer. Heat and humidity, clothes sticking to your body, can't breathe.
    Everyone I know loves summertime. I dread it.
    Thanks for this, I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thanks necessary, Dave. I know firsthand that it's good to know we're not alone in whatever it is we're dealing with. Glad I could offer you that, even if it's just a little bit. ♥

      Delete

Thank you for your thoughtful comment.
Thank you, too, for not spamming and trolling anonymously.
We know who you are through tracking :-)