.

.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Memories & Tiny Little Gardens

A bunch of years ago I used to spend a good deal of my time in Manhattan; Greenwich Village, specifically.

I lived in NJ but only about 20 minutes from NYC so it was nothing to jump into the city on a whim...and that whim struck sometimes 3-4 times a week.



I loved the Village. I knew its nooks and crannies, I knew the cracks in its sidewalks, I inhaled its vibe and let it infiltrate my blood. I knew its homeless people by name and they knew mine. I was a non-resident resident.  Some of the greatest nights of my life were spent sitting on a stoop, drinking a big old coffee, people-watching. I created memories there - simple ones - that are stamped forever on my heart.

Of course I wanted to live there.




I would walk miles and miles through its charming streets (Charles St my most fave), past the
brownstones  and oh how I would covet their brick-walled, ivy-covered tiny garden yards.
I spent a lot of time thinking about the intimate dinner parties I would throw for my rock n roll friends in my own tiny GV garden yard which would, of course, have hundreds of twinkling lights and herbs growing in pots everywhere and tons of flowers.

I came close to getting this.

Not long after 9/11, in an unbelievable twist of fate, I was offered my choice of two positions at Conde Nast.  I was an editor then and on a lark had sent my resume out to a bunch of publishing houses in NYC while in a what the hell? let's see what happens mood.  Unbelievably, Conde Nast called - I remember there were two people on the phone from HR, a guy and a girl, and they were both really excited  - "You're perfect for these positions, Sharon, you have to join us here", they gushed.  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, to be sure.  Did I mention the money was off the charts?

And I turned it down.

It would have taken some time for me to sort out our life until we could eventually move to NYC and that would have meant commuting into and out of NYC everyday in the meantime.  Post-9/11.
I couldn't do it.
I wanted to do it.
If I had been single and didn't have a kid I probably would have done it.  But I had to make decisions not just for myself and so I had to let it go.  Yeah, I know - brilliant, right?

Anyway, here we are now many years later and I'm pleased to tell you that I do now actually live in brownstone in a city that isn't NY but a city nonetheless and the best part is that I now have one of those brick-walled, ivy covered tiny yard gardens.



It's a charming shared space with our downstairs neighbor which is more than okay with me because they're good with me letting loose back there and creating the space for everyone to make use of and enjoy. 
This week I've put in a ton of herbs, potted tomatoes and eggplant, and a bunch of flowers.
It thrills me to be able to share this with our neighbors. To think that they can go out there and pick some tomatoes or grab some herbs? Or they can have friends over and enjoy the ambiance, the smell of the herbs, the pretty flowers? Awesome.

I've said it a thousand times: nothing makes me happier than doing things that make other people happy.

Today's Mood Music



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful comment.
Thank you, too, for not spamming and trolling anonymously.
We know who you are through tracking :-)