.

.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Doomsday Of The Oral Variety

So my mom thinks I should have a bunch of my teeth pulled.

That's her solution to the mouth pain I experienced over the past weekend.

Her reasoning is that I keep having problems with my teeth and teeth problems are hereditary¹ - I seriously can't think of one person in all of my relations who have good teeth - so just cut to the chase and get rid of them.

Out with the old, in with the fake.  No more mouth pain, problem solved. Why fight the inevitable?

Because no one I am related to has good teeth or even has teeth as most are denture wearers, I have been diligent my whole life about my teeth but despite that, genetics is winning the war. I brush a lot, I floss...but still crazy problems arise. Combine genetics² with autoimmune stuff³ and I pretty much have a bunch of ticking white time bombs in my mouth.  Doomsday of the oral variety.

Dentists sometimes disagree.  Their thought is that if you just come to their office once or twice a week for the rest of your life and have ridiculously expensive procedures on a regular basis, you'll be just fine and you will see that genetics or diseases or medications have nothing to do with it, they say.

Maybe just don't pay your rent or mortgage and y'all can have great teeth.
And do your kids really need new clothes or all of that food?  Perhaps a second job to pay for that implant? We have financing!

I went to a terrible dentist¹¹ for awhile last year.  I have severe medical phobia²² (real deal, not just the 'i don't like doctors' kind) so I didn't notice she was as bad as she was despite the eye rolls of her staff every time she left the room. With medical phobia all you can do is concentrate with all you've got on not having a massive panic attack and running out the door so you miss a lot. During one visit, I was in the chair and she was working away on something in my mouth. The dental assistant asked me a question and I answered it and the bad dentist lady freaked out and yelled at both of us.  Apparently I wasn't supposed to talk while she was working except she never actually told me or the assistant that even after the assistant asked me the question.
Have you ever had a dentist yell at you?
Have you ever had a dentist yell at you as someone with severe medical phobia (that she knew about)?
She also told me in front of other patients to not wait too long to schedule an appointment for another problem tooth "because it's your M.O. to wait too long".   She really said M.O.
In front of other people.
Then there was the time she was working in my mouth and asked me if I took aspirin.
I answered that I sometimes take Tylenol. She said "Tylenol is not aspirin. I said aspirin."
Then she told me the reason she asked is because she "can't stop the bleeding"...which is a terrific thing to say to someone who has medical phobia.  It took the better part of six hours to come down from the adrenaline spike that anxiety attack caused.
After the 'cant stop the bleeding' incident, I stopped going to her.  Not long after that I heard she no longer worked there and had moved to Florida.  I only hope she is selling homemade puka shell necklaces on the beach there instead of being a dentist because that would be more suitable to her qualifications, in my opinion.

Moral of this story:  don't put up with bad care ever + don't pull out your teeth if you can help/afford it.  But if you can't help/afford it, that's okay too.
Don't let anyone make you feel bad about you...including you.


Further Reading:
¹ Genes May Be Linked To Oral Health Problems
² How Your Genetics Are Affecting Your Teeth
³ Autoimmune Diseases Effects On Oral Health
¹¹How To Deal With An Arrogant Doctor
²²How To Overcome Extreme Fear Of Doctors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful comment.
Thank you, too, for not spamming and trolling anonymously.
We know who you are through tracking :-)